RICHMOND, Va., January 25, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation recently awarded $1.5 million in environmental stewardship grants to support 115 community organizations in 10 states that work to create a cleaner, greener world and teach citizens young and old how to take better care of the outdoors.
“Acting as good stewards of our environment is central to Dominion Energy’s mission,” said Hunter A. Applewhite, president of the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation. “We are honored to support these worthy organizations that are doing great work to improve the world around us today and tomorrow.”
Competitive grants support education and stewardship projects that preserve, enhance, or make nature more accessible. Some of this year’s grants include support for:
- Audubon Caroline from the south PROTHO project, Charleston, South Carolina to support avian conservation research and outreach efforts related to Prothonotary Warbler breeding and nesting habits at the Audubon Center and Francis Beidler Forest Sanctuary.
- 2022 youth programs of the Jardin des jeunes project, Moab, UT offer environmental lessons, sustainable farming techniques and help foster connections with the environment, with each other and with the Moab community.
- Blue Sky Fund Explorers Program, Richmond, Virginia provide more than 2,500 elementary school students with lifelong nature-based education through hands-on outdoor experiences.
- Girl Scouts of Connecticut Bringing the STEM curriculum outside, Hartford, Connecticut provide education in environmental stewardship, the outdoors, and STEM careers for girls in the Southeast Connecticut and beyond.
- ENO River Association, Durham, North Carolina help prepare a new nature reserve for opening to the public in January 2023 by supporting the creation of major amenities such as a parking lot, walking trails and signage.
- Appalachians National Forest Heritage Area, Elkins, West Virginia to sponsor the Monongahela Outdoor Volunteer Program (MOV) to restore and expand trails in the Monongahela National Forest.
The full list of Environmental Stewardship Grants 2021 and additional program information is available at https://www.dominionenergy.com/envirogrants.
Over the past 16 years, the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation has donated more than $38 million to a wide variety of environmental projects through its footprint.
About the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation
Approximately 7 million customers in 13 states power their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D). Through his Dominion Energy Charitable Foundationas well as EnergyShare, HBCU PromiseSM and other programs, Dominion Energy has contributed more than $48 million in 2021 to community causes. The Foundation supports nonprofit causes that meet basic human needs, protect the environment, promote education, and encourage community vitality. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com to learn more.
SOURCE Dominion Energy