The Hamilton Conservation Authority is currently offering a full-time opportunity for the following position:
Outdoor Education and Environmental Programs Specialist
Summary of work
The Outdoor Environmental Education Specialist is the lead staff member of the Hamilton Conservation Authority’s (HCA) Outdoor Environmental Education Team.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and Wellness, the Outdoor Environmental Education Specialist is responsible for ensuring the accuracy, efficiency, effectiveness and curriculum development of the program portfolio outdoor environmental education HCA
Job duties and tasks
- Develops work plans to achieve outdoor education strategic goals and targets
- Creates and delivers educational and interpretive content for outdoor environmental programs to K-12 classrooms
- Prepares information materials, fact sheets and other outdoor environmental education communication materials
- Assist in the development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies on outdoor environmental education
- Assist in the training of interpretive/education staff, interns and volunteers
- Develops new curriculum-based education and teaching modules, including curriculum area security checks
- Liaise with Hamilton Wentworth School Board, HCA Foundation and other educational associations
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Ontario Teaching Certificate
- Degree in environmental studies or recreational programming specializing in outdoor education
- 5 years of teaching experience in a classroom, community and/or outdoor environmental program
- Microsoft computing processes
Lesson planning; curriculum development and curriculum design; understanding of security and risk management; strong judgment, problem-solving and decision-making skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; possesses strong customer service and interpersonal skills; a strong commitment to the environment and the protection of land and water resources; enjoys working outdoors in all weathers; a valid Class G driver’s license.
This position reports to the Dundas Valley Education Centre, 650 Governors Road, Dundas, ON. However, the work location may change to one of HCA’s conservation areas during the year based on business needs for short or long term assistance or during special events. Working hours are generally between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with a half-hour unpaid lunch based on a work week of 37.5 hours to 7.5 hours per day, Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours may occasionally be required. This position may have a layoff period during the summer months. Daily aspects of working outdoors in various weather conditions are a requirement.
The successful candidate must meet the Province of Ontario’s COVID-19 definition of “fully vaccinated” or provide proof of Human Rights Code exemption prior to commencing employment in accordance with the vaccination policy HCA COVID-19.
This is a full-time position with an hourly rate starting at (H7) $32.76 per hour depending on experience. COLA and merit increases will be considered on an annual basis.
HCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision care, LTD and life insurance after the 3 month trial period, paid sick leave and vacation . Membership of a defined contribution pension plan after 1 year of service.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, June 22, 2022 for the attention of Director of Human Resources and Wellbeing
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (please quote “Outdoor Education” in the subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that in-person interviews will be held for this position in accordance with current provincial workplace protocols related to COVID-19.
Accessibility measures are available for all stages of the recruitment process; Applicants are requested to notify Human Resources in advance of any accommodations required for a disability.