The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has a full time opportunity in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area for a
Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Education Program Coordinator
Summary of work
The Outdoor Environmental Education Program Coordinator is a staff member of the Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) Outdoor Environmental Education Team, providing support to the Outdoor Environmental Education Specialist. education and outdoor environmental programs with HCA’s Outdoor Education and Recreation Programs.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and Wellness, the Outdoor Environmental Education Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination, organization and implementation of environmental and community education programs.
- Help develop, implement and lead new curriculum-based outdoor education and recreation programs.
- Assist in coordinating and planning outdoor education programs for schools and the community in conjunction with the Outdoor Environmental Education Program Specialist.
- Prepare and maintain records, reports, kits and publicity e.g. Attendance summaries, reports for school boards and other educational institutions, the Hamilton Conservation Foundation. Assist in advertising on the environmental education programs website with the marketing department.
- Lead outdoor, environmental and recreational programs as arranged in advance with school groups, following a pre-planned and approved lesson plan.
- Liaise with Hamilton Wentworth District School Board, HCA Foundation and other educational associations as required.
- Post-secondary degree in outdoor recreation or related field
- Valid “G” driver’s license
- Two (2) years of outdoor recreation education
- Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Lesson planning; understanding of security and risk management; problem-solving and decision-making skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; possesses customer service and interpersonal skills; a commitment to the environment and the protection of land and water resources; enjoys working outdoors in all weathers.
- This position will be based out of the Dundas Valley Conservation Area, 650 Governors Road, Dundas, ON. This is a remote location, so personal transportation is required
- Working hours are 7.5 hour day, 37.5 hour work week. There may be a need for weekend and/or evening work for special events
- This position involves working outside 60% to 80% of the day, year-round
The successful candidate must meet the Province of Ontario’s COVID-19 definition of “fully immunized” or provide proof of a Human Rights Code exemption prior to commencement of employment in accordance with the policy of HCA COVID-19 vaccination.
It’s a full time position with an hourly rate starting at $25.47. Progression in the salary scale will be based on merit and is considered on an annual basis. Annual Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) may also be considered.
HCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health care, dental care, vision care, health care spending account, life and disability insurance after the 3 month probationary period and a plan defined contribution pension plan and a group RRSP after 1 year of service.
Interested candidates should send CV and motivation letter by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
838 Mineral Springs Road
Ancaster, Ontario, L9G 4X1
To the attention of the Director of Human Resources
(please mention “Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Education Program Coordinator” in the subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Vulnerable sector police check must be provided upon hiring
Accessibility measures are available for all stages of the recruitment process; Applicants are requested to notify Human Resources in advance of any accommodations required for a disability.